Gobi March Blogs

View All Posts From : Ben Lloyd

What Was In The Bag?!

13th June 2013 11:15 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

For anyone looking to see the contents of a race bag, i thought i'd put below what i took with me (with some comments on the utility of various things). 

OMM 25l rucksack (I actually bought the 32l just in case, but ended up squeezing everything in the 25l flipflops and poles were on the outside)

To wear.

Innov8 295 trainers

Injiji socks

Running socks (I wore two pairs each day to reduce risk of blisters this worked)

Running shorts

Raidlight short sleeve top


Cap (with neck cover thing)

2 x raidlight bottles (the new ones theyre see through so you know how much is left, and easier to drink from than the old bottles)


To carry.

Rain jacket (goretex paclite). Some people just took a lighter windbreaker Id recommend against that as they werent laughing when it chucked it down.

Compression tights

2x injiji socks

1x running socks (I did day one and two wearing what I started with. On day 3 I changed injiji socks and binned the old pair. On the long day I had fresh injiji and fresh oversocks)

Thin beanie hat

Thin gloves (never used, but a mandatory item)

2x long sleeve tops (my theory was that if I ran in one and got it sweaty, I wanted a clean one to sleep in. I never used the second one).

1 x spare race top (Id change into this after the race to let my actual race top dry).

Spare shorts (I never used these. One pair of shorts to race in plus compression tights was enough)

Racing the Planet Buff (used either on wrist as a sweatband or on head when I was cold)

Atmos sleeping bag

Z-lite mattress (definitely recommended though sleeping on the floor is an option to save 400g or so, it is cold, the tents are just plonked on any surface and can be rocky, prickly and wet)

Food(everyone else will have their own opinion here. My bag was 9.9kg, mainly as I had a few extra food items. I am so glad I did as I pretty much ate everything I took. Some people would just have one gel bar for the 6 hours they were out running. I didnt fancy that.)

You need to take something for the first Saturday night make it nice eg. pasta, chicken, pesto, sundried tomatos etc. The novices turn up with another orange bag of cement to eat. No fun.

Also remember that you wont need to carry Sunday mornings breakfast, so it doesnt have to be the lightest thing in the world.

I didn't take the following, but I would really recommend to take a mix of hot chocolate, tea bags, chicken stock (vital for salts etc).

I pretty much planned to do the same thing on every day

Breakfast (orange bag of porridge with strawberries, sachet of coffee)

During race (gel bar, perpetuem, 75g pili nuts, beef jerky, 4x salt tablets, 6x NUUN tablets). I doubled up on this for the long day.

Lunch (recoverite + cup noodles crushed up to reduce bulk). This was my favourite meal every day. Make sure it is spicy / tasty.

Evening (orange 800 kcal bag). I tried them all before I went. Dont risk something you havent tried. Chili Con Carne, Savoury Beef + Rice and the curry ones were best for me.

[you are really only planning for FIVE days. The rest day doesnt require the same amount of calories etc, and the last day only needs breakfast. I lost my hunger on the last two days, and only needed a gel bar and a coffee in the morning on the last day]

Tip if you dont mind the consistency, put the porridge / oats into a blender. Makes it small and is a big space saver.

By day 5, my body started making me want to feel sick. This was the first point that I wasnt gulping down my food. I had been eating the whole orange bag of porridge for breakfast, but by day 4 I only ate half of it each morning (not a problem, but if Id known, Id have cut out a couple of bags to save weight). All I would have done better is to have had a small variety of treats to choose from when my body wasnt sure what it wanted (eg. handful of jelly beans, crushed salt and vinegar crisps, chicken stock cubes, etc)

I also went to macdonalds to get some salt and pepper, and to tsui wah to get some chilli oil. This made some of the duller dishes much better. The gloopy orange bags of stuff had the effect of stopping me going to the toilet. Chilli oil a helping hand in that regard!!)

Medical Stuff..

Hand sanitizer

Small bodyglide

Voltaren gel (anti-inflammatory)

Deep Heat (a bit of a heavy luxury, but very useful and Id take it again Mannings do a small tube)

2x30g sun cream

Lip sunscreen

20 x safety pins

Blister Kit (you need a certain amount of stuff here inc 2x needles, alcohol wipes, tape etc. I bought the tape, then cut off about half of it to save weight)

Compression bandage


12x panadol

6x melatonin sleep tablets (Fanda)

3x 10 toilet tissues

12x tablet towels (the best thing in the world)

Toothbrush and small toothpaste



Camera + spare battery

2 x ipod shuffles + headphones

Head torch

Back up head torch

Red flashing light

Survival bag

Extra 1 litre water bladder (required to have ability to carry 2.5l of water at any one time)

Poles (I never used these before, and was skeptical, but previous participants swear by them. I know agree. They were vital)

Flip flops (get a light pair. Some people just use hotel slippers, but these are rubbish on rocks, thistles, or when wet).

I DIDNT take any gaitors. A bit of a risk, but there was no sand in our race. I am glad I didnt, as they werent necessary.

Comments: Total (0) comments

The Joy Of The Finish Line.......

11th June 2013 08:08 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

I will try and put some more eloquent summary comments here as soon as I get a chance. I just wanted to post something to let everyone know that I finished. I ran, walked and hobbled the course in just over 34 hours to finish in 16th place. A great feeling at the finish line, crossing with two of my tent mates who I’d spent a lot of the week running with. Not normally as emotional, I was (almost!) moved to tears in both my own jubilation at finishing, but moreso seeing the joy on others faces as they came over the lines, now removed of the burden of the race and supporting good (and often very personal) causes. This was exacerbated by the incredible lakeside finish, with crystal clear lake waters, blue skies and snow capped mountains in the background (and the medal, cold beer and uyghur equivalent of a cornish pasty that we were given on finishing!!).


The journey home was long and arduous, but I am back in HK with a few extra blisters, a few less kilograms in my bag and on my body, but a big smile on my face. I had a few beers post the race. The coffee and bacon sandwich that I was dreaming of whilst out in the middle of the hills was even more delicious than I imagined this morning, as I sat back at my desk at 7am to the usual routine.



Thank you to all those that posted something in response to this blog. It really did make a big difference as I thought about your words in the lonely hours spent with nothing but camels, sheep and a bit of pain for company. 

Thanks also to my tent mates. Alex, Ilya, Pat, Scott, Pippa, Jackie, Yuji and Miyumi kept me going and gave support all week. It was great to be one of the few tents where all members finished the race. Congrats one and all.

Comments: Total (1) comments

Brett Sharkey

Posted On: 12 Jun 2013 03:02 AM

Great success Ben. Good to meet you in the Gobi. You were a strong competitor and sportsman. Perhaps we'll meet again some day in another distant land. Take Care, Brett
Is This Really The Driest Desert?

7th June 2013 08:03 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

Big Day is over. However, it has left a real mixed bunch of emotions. With 53km completed in just over 7 hours and only two stages to go, the race was stopped as a precaution given the atrocious weather. In six nights camping this week (in a so called desert), we have had three nights of thunderstorms which have left some people's tents flooded. We started the 'long day' in a little bit of drizzle and managed to get through the first 15km fairly quickly. At that poin, we began the 20km climb from 1200m to 2800m, up a long and monotonous dirt track. Just before the last little bit, the  heavens opened, wind picked up and froze us to death. Having gone over the top of the pass it was so cold, the doctors were ensuring we were ok before continuing as clothes were soaked through and hyperthermia a big risk. i have to say that this didn't cross my mind when i was planning for a desert run. Sore legs meant i had to walk some bits but i was very thankful to  have another competitor, Chris, to push me on. we've been roughly a similar pace all week so was good to have some support during the tougher points.
the sun came out after about 45km which made the  next 10km down ito the valley much more enjoyable. Though the legs hurt, we marched along nicely and we're looking at a 10h/10.30hr finish time, which i would have been over the moon with. Knowing just wht cold and miserable weather i had been through, it wasn't necessarily a huge shock when we came across the race organiser who then let us know they had had to cancel the stage. (hindsight is wonderful thing, but i woke up this morning to see a new layer of snow on the mountans that we were going over, and noone would have wanted to be out in a snowstorm with clothing for the desert).
I think i was in about 15th place when the race was stopped, so hoping that it stays the same after they work out how to adjust times. it is disappointing not to have achieved what the mid set out to, and i was keen to get the 80km stage under my belt. there are a lot of frustrated people here in camp on the rest day, but it was definitely the right decision to stop the race.
just a 14km hobble tomorrow and it is all done. thank you to everyone who has sent a message. it has been lovely cominng into the cybertent to find messages to know that i am not just going through this by myself and i have a load of people back there keeping an eye on things. thank you. i owe you beers, and i will be very very thirsty when i get back.............
(p.s. big kudos to tentmate Alex who was one of only 9 people who were quick enough to get through the whole day and finish the stage in just over nine hours)

Comments: Total (5) comments

Jonny Stanley

Posted On: 08 Jun 2013 16:19 PM

Great job on making the top 20, I saw the pic of you crossing the finish line!

Brian Macdougall

Posted On: 09 Jun 2013 13:22 PM

Amazing result Ben. I am most impressed. see you on the squash court. Brian

Dan Neill

Posted On: 09 Jun 2013 14:43 PM

Great stuff mate. Final push now - look forward to the final blog. Imagine how good that hot shower, bed and beer will be when it's all done! I'm currently in my hotel bed after nailing the 24hr bike. Finished in front group just over 20hrs for shade under 250miles. Was great, but everything hurts now! Looking forward to exchanging stories soon fella. Chapeau!!

Amanda Bridgewater

Posted On: 09 Jun 2013 17:43 PM

Well done Ben. Very proud of you. Safe journey home. xx

Jon Pipe

Posted On: 10 Jun 2013 06:32 AM

Top effort mate. Fancy a run this weekend??!
What A Difference A Day Makes!

5th June 2013 02:46 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

Such a different day to yesterday! in the knowledge that panadol could quieten down the pain, i had two pills before the race and that numbed the pain so much that i didnt feel anything and was able to actually run again. a huge psychological boost, that meant i made the first checkpoint (10km) in under 55 minutes. That was to set the tone for the day, as i was able to push on through some amazing mountain and pastureland scenery. I still stopped to 'high 5' the local kids who had come out to support, to take photos of the sheep that caused a roadblock for a couple of minutes and to try and photograph the little rat like things that dotted the grassland (i failed). All in all, i managed to complete the fourth marathon on day four in just over 4 hours 30, and up in 11th place. No doubt the hips will hurt tonight and need anti-inflammatory stuff and panadol, but if it works like today, i will be a happy boy.
the daily ritual of high calorie, freeze dried food is gettinng a bit monotonous and with lots of time to think out there in the hills, the mind has turned to all the delicious food and beer i'll be treating myself to when i get back. burger and chips with a pint are currently top of the list. if i never see a freeze dried porridge with strawberries again i'll be a very happy man.
tomorrow is 'the long march', a 75km day which has us climbing vertical metres within the first 40km. bring it on!
(whatever humour or wit i may have had prior to this evennt - and some would argue it was limited to start with - has left me as i just sit and struggle to think/walk/talk after each stage. on that note, i'm back to the tent to rest). There is unlikely ot be a blog tomorrow given i may not finish til gone midnight and will go straight to bed. will update everyone on the following day, hopefully with great news!

Comments: Total (11) comments

Emily Woodland

Posted On: 06 Jun 2013 04:22 AM

Woohoo what a rally, knew you had it in you to suck it up!! Well by the time you read this you will have nailed the long day so all that's left to say is CONGRATS (and I told you so that you would smash it!!). I expect copious celebratory beverages upon your return...

Jason Jing

Posted On: 06 Jun 2013 06:17 AM

Go Ben!! Chris said if you can't make it top 5 then you don't need to come back to HK!! lol!!(just kidding!) Everything is fine here so don't worry:D Just focus on the last 2 days!


Posted On: 06 Jun 2013 07:04 AM

Fantastic!!! What a legend Mr. Lloyd :-) I can't even imagine doing this myself. I hope the big race today will be a great success again. Again fingers crossed for your hips!!! And 11th??!! Wow... Can't wait to hear your stories :-) beers chips burgers all yours when you back LOL not long now...

Peter Sidgwick

Posted On: 06 Jun 2013 20:21 PM

Lloyd - quite amazing what you're doing - we're with you all the way and think of you each morning as our day begins and yours ends - not far now - final push and mountains of chips and beer, not to mention a Zimmer frame/wheelchair are yours. P x

Mike Ferreira

Posted On: 07 Jun 2013 03:09 AM

nice work buddy! keep pushing...you are nearly there!! steak dins when back in HK- cheers

Pete Richards

Posted On: 07 Jun 2013 09:21 AM

Come on Ben!!! You've got this bro! From Pete, Sam & Alex

Amanda Bridgewater

Posted On: 07 Jun 2013 11:13 AM

Hi ben, Great effort... Really pleased that the hip behaved itself a bit better yesterday. Got to love the panadol effect! Good luck for your last stage. We are thinking of you loads here in south africa. Tom says he knows a good place for an 'as much as you can eat brunch' to help you refuel afterwards. Only 4 mains and 3 puddings to eat to better his efforts last time. See you in New York! Amanda and Tom. X


Posted On: 07 Jun 2013 12:37 PM

BTW at Cotton's waiting for Brian to join having a glass of wine for you :-) wish you very best luck tomorrow!!!

Tim Lloyd

Posted On: 07 Jun 2013 14:03 PM

Great to hear bro, keep up the good work, only couple of shifts left to put in! Smash it up.

Dan Neill

Posted On: 07 Jun 2013 15:29 PM

Sounds epic mate. A 4 and half hr marathon on day 4 - awesome going fella. I'm heading down to Manc as we speak for my 400km bike. Not in great shape but I'll be hammering the pain killers and we should both think what Jens would say - shut up legs!!! Keep going mate. Look forward to the final blog! Mr Merckx

Ali Allison

Posted On: 08 Jun 2013 07:07 AM

Great effort bro. Sounds horrific though.
Panadol Saves The Day

4th June 2013 02:26 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

Pretty miserable day today.  Sadly the hip injury tightened up overnight and meant I’m having to walk now. After a couple of good days ks annowing that I could do relatively well in the rankings, it has now come down to how to manage a hip injury that is stopping me running. The downhill sections are agony. The course today was a lot more stunning. Great mountains, little dry riverbeds, huge wide expanses of open grassland etc. Sadly, stage two, which is a 10km stage almost had me pulling out. My walking pace meant seemingly half of china came past me, on a hard track that I should have been flying along. My mind was not in a happy place at this point as I wondered how I could do much more than just get to the next checkpoint. However, having got to that checkpoint and had two panadol, the pain subsided for a couple of hours and gave me enough energy to push harder on an amazing stage 3, which had a 500m steep climb in it. That put a smile on my face again as I passed a long line of people. That smile then went as we hit a 5km downhill section and everyone then came past me again as I was forced to walk.


Anyway, enough whinging. The great news is that I am still here and managed to complete stage 3. Who knows how tomorrow will go. We’re already roughly half way through. I’ll hae to sit and see how bad the hip is tomorrow, but I’ll definitely be on the start line to see how I can do.


Today’s quick thoughts

1)      One of the guys here was overtaken by a cow.

2)      Emily is wrong about food. I have stuffed my face with everything I have brought with me and would eat more if I could.I may  be the only person here to put on weight this week.

3)      Emily is however very right when it comes to poles (an absolute godsend today).

4)      Taking two ishuffles is a great idea. Annoyed at yesterdays lack of batteries, today’s 2nd ishuffle worked and gave me a real boost. I love Apple products again (and the people that work there).

5)      Stage ones aggressive camel was upped today with stage threes aggressive snake. I saw it about two steps from landing on it. Lucky. It then didn’t seem to like me taking a photo.


It is awesome to finish a day and see everyones emails. A real pick me up, much needed after a long struggle. Thank you. I only get 15mins in the ‘cybertent’ so blogs are as quick a scribble as I can. The 40km each day is more than enough to play over everyones comments in my mind and keep a smile on my face.


Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow. One day at a time.

Comments: Total (7) comments

Emily Woodland

Posted On: 05 Jun 2013 04:33 AM

Haha, glad I did at least add value in one respect! Sorry your hip has flared up, just focus on completing not competing. Your biggest battle will be in your head now, but I still truly believe you've got this. Sending lots of positive vibes your way!!!

Giselle Tropper

Posted On: 05 Jun 2013 05:08 AM

I strongly suspect I will be overtaken by a cow one day ... Just to cheer you up, HK is soup humid, so there's no way you'd be sleeping better here. And hip injury or no, I know you'll finish. -Giselle (your friendly race stalker)

Tim Lloyd

Posted On: 05 Jun 2013 10:52 AM

Keep going bro, must be so tough with the pain, but remember pain is just weakness leaving the body :-) Best of luck on the next stage!


Posted On: 05 Jun 2013 11:48 AM

Well done again!!! Make sure you use Tiger Balm on those injured hips. After all the physio sessions you'd be doing massages to yourself to make your hips better :-) hahaha Half way done already keep going!!! Go go go!!!

Ross Hunt

Posted On: 05 Jun 2013 14:01 PM

Lloydy! You're doing great mate. Sorry to hear about the hip but even with that injury you're still faster than about 90% of the field! Don't push yourself too hard, we want you back in HK in one piece :)

Rosemary Ratcliffe

Posted On: 05 Jun 2013 16:38 PM

You've got it in you, Ben! You can do it. Remember your first few days in China.....hopping for several hours in the mountains with monks showing no mercy!!! Think of that fabulous, long, hot, relaxing bath next week when you have completed the challenge! You may stay there for a couple of days but it will all be worth it and we can't wait to hear your memories, especially of the amazing countryside your are now ambling through!!! (sorry, bit of a bad joke!....but meant to make you smile!) Keep it up! You can do it.........if slower than you had wanted or planned. You are amazing! xxx

Mat Lefevre

Posted On: 06 Jun 2013 01:43 AM

A thought for you to ponder related to your hip: If the rest of the group felt exactly as you do now...could you be the one to step up and lead them all to the finish? And if you can fathom rising above the crowd, can you also not find it in yourself to overtake some of those ahead of you that might feel a little better than you do but who lack your level of grit and determination? Go Ben.
Two Marathons, Two Days. 1/3 Of The Way!

3rd June 2013 08:49 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

Day two finished. It is difficult to know what position you’re in when your head is down and your staring at the floor a few feet in front of you, so it was very nice to cross the finish line to hear that I had come in 13th place. Whilst I don’t care where I finish to anyone else, as I’m really on fighting against me and the finish line, it was nice to hear. Sadly it might have come at the expense of my hip injury. Having got through yesterday with no problems, the uneven ground today took its toll and the hip pain has returned. I hope that a nights rest will help, but at the moment, the happiness at getting round today is tinged with a bit of a concern as to how far my hip will let me go. Fingers crossed.


The course today was pretty flat and pretty boring. Another 42km. I won’t bore you with the details. There were very few opportunities to get the camera out.


Instead, I thought I’d put a couple of other thougths in here.

1)Whilst I missed it, apparently stage one competitors were caught up by an aggressive camel. Thankfully it let me take pictures of it and pass on, but others weren’t so lucky.

2) The course is marked with pink flags or ribbons every 25m or so. With about 5km to go, I saw a horse with a pink ribbon on its tail! Not helpful….

3) I managed a smile during yesterdays stage, as there were two local kids children by the side of the road cheering us on. I couldn’t see any competitors ahead or behind, so stopped for five mins to chat and play with them. Whilst I was letting them run up the road using my trekking poles, the media cameras popped out and took a quick video. Hope it makes it onto the website!

4) Todays stage was boring. To ease the boredom, I got out the ishuffle, only to find the battery had run out. Stupid Apple products!!

5) Two days, no showers, holes in the floor for toilets (someone should tell them that the sides need to be higher than 3 feet for tall people) mean that it is not the most pleasant of places. Remind me why camping is fun?! (but I’m still smiling)


Anyway, I’m now at camp 2. We’ve just had a big thunderstorm and I’m off back to the tent to rest (with my noodles). The more I eat, the lighter my bag gets…

Comments: Total (2) comments


Posted On: 04 Jun 2013 09:01 AM

Oh dear oh dear your iPod shuffle ran out of batteries. What about the other one? Make sure you slide the button to off after use. And 13???!!! Oh god you're GOOD!!! Hope your hips will be all ok for today & tomorrow's race! Fingers crossed!

Amanda Bridgewater

Posted On: 04 Jun 2013 11:15 AM

Hi ben, Well done today. Awesome effort to finish 13th, think you are 15th overall which is amazing. Rally hope the hip holds out. Take it easy. Sending you big strong hip vibes across the internet. A and T. xx
Day One; The Mysterious Stone Valley

2nd June 2013 02:24 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

43km down and I survived to be here to write a blog today. Sadly given the way it is uploaded, you won’t get it til Monday morning, by whicerh point I’ll be back out for another 40km stage. After all the nervous tension going into the race, it was great to finally get running. Before that though, my evening wasn’t much fun and reiterated my hatred of camping. No idea why I signed up for this!! The running is through some great areas. The people I have met are great. The downside is sleeping on a tiny mat in a super-heated tent with 8 others. Thankfully I’ve got a great tent, with a couple from Japan, and the rest a bunch of foreigners all based in HK.


My planned pre-race dinner of pasta, pesto, sun dried tomatoes and parmesan went wrong on the plane when the box it was in burst. Damn. Thankfully tent mat Alex had extra pasta so I didn’t go hungry and it was nice to have some solid food.


6am start for breakfast, then an 8am race kick off. I felt good and ran the first 20km. This section took us through some fairly spectacular rock formations that for a while kept me away from thinking about the distance ahead. That, plus the camels! At the half way mark though, I decided to heed the advice of some race veterans who told me not to kill myself on day one. That thought, coupled with tired legs, then meant I walked / ran the last 23km. I caught up with my tent mate Ili, and we just chatted away and plodded through the last stages together which made it a lot easier. The last stage was the best part, with a steep section on wooden steps up a hill in a national park like thing under government surveillance. We’re so close to the Kazakhstan border here that the government are keeping a close eye. The 43km took just over 6 hours. Tough, but just day one.


I’d love to write more here, but time is short and I just wanted to say I’d survived stage one. Apols for the boring running chat. More to come in terms of banter in coming days.


It’s 3.30pm here and it’s blue skies and 30 degrees (I guess). Time to stretch, eat and chill out. Thinking of everyone keeps me going. Bring on tomorrow……

Comments: Total (8) comments

Giselle Tropper

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 05:37 AM

Ben, you're kicking @ss! I love how your version of a "chill" pace still puts you near the front of the pack! Good luck today!


Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 06:13 AM

That's pretty amazing what you've done!!! I managed to find photos of you on the website LOL looking happy there :-) Have a good one today!

Emily Woodland

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 06:28 AM

Awesome job Ben, top 20 already I knew you could, keep it up!! Just keep some in the tank for the long day, that's the deal breaker. Cheering for you from my boring desk in HK and wishing I was there too!!

Tom Inman

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 07:04 AM

Good job Ben. Delighted to hear you're off and running. Sounds like a geographer's paradise... Hopefully the views are distracting you from the feeling of tired legs. I managed to survive the Comrades yesterday (10h35); I now can't move. Good luck for the rest of it. Will be thinking of you on Thursday and following the blog. Cheers, Tom.

Dennis Chan

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 07:06 AM

Great start Ben, keep it going! Some brilliant images on the website, look forward to seeing your personal collection when you get back!

Peter Sidgwick

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 07:20 AM

Good start Ben - only a few more km to go! What you're doing is amazing, we're loving watching your adventure. Dougie would send you some of his supper to keep his Godfather going if he could. Pete

Brian Macdougall

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 11:27 AM

Go Ben go. Based on the lack of whining your hip must be holding up. Well done! Brian

Mat Lefevre

Posted On: 03 Jun 2013 12:49 PM

Good job mate. Sounds like you're winning the mental game thus far. Keep it up. And catch Pat.
It's All Happening

1st June 2013 04:20 AM[(GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi]

Everyone has arrived, the dinner tables are full of people pointing at the not overly appealing photos on the menu and hoping that what they think they ordered is what they end up getting. You get almost 16 hours of sunlight at this time of year here in the Gobi, which means the evenings are very long. At 10pm it still feels like 6pm with the sun high in the sky. Thankfully, coming from HK, the temperature is fantastic, and should be great for running in. I'm not sure my new friends from Canada or the UK who have had to slog through the snow over the winter think it's as cool as I do though..... Having struggled yesterday to get everything known to man into a small 25 litre rucksack (Emily - i got it all in!), I then had to unload it all this morning to prove to the organisers i had all the required equipment. The bag weights 9.9kg (oops), without water in the water bottles, so it's going to be a good battle over the first few days until the weight comes down as i eat my way through most of it. I've been very lucky with my room mate; another English guy called Alex from HK. He's done one of these silly things before so has a lot of useful info. He was also able to help make up for the fact that my 'special' meal for tonight ended up outside of its intended box and all over my bag. His extra pasta and pesto will be a real treat this evening. Cheers mate. So, with the bag all checked, it's time to get lunch and chill out til 4pm when we head out on a one hours bus ride to camp 1. We have the course notes. It's 42km on Sunday, then 42km on Monday, 37km on Tuesday, 41km on Wednesday, then a bugger of a 75km on Thursday. The latter bit would be almost palatable if it weren't for the fact that we start the day at 1176m and will be going through 2800m before the 40km mark. It's going to be tough. The final 14km trot to the finish comes next Saturday. Fingers crossed that i am still around to do that. The phone and blackberry are now off. There is no way to contact me. You can leave me a message by going to 'email a competitor' on the main website, and i'll be able to update this blog once a day. Apologies in advance for any expletives.

Comments: Total (2) comments

Emily Woodland

Posted On: 02 Jun 2013 06:23 AM

9.9kg!!! That's all that pesky extra food I told you you didn't need... I await your blog entry admitting you have ditched some of it ;) Glad you and Alex have been put together, he's quality. Yukyung and Eva will look after you too. We're cheering for you in HK, just remember, left, right, left, right... doddle


Posted On: 02 Jun 2013 16:54 PM

Wow that's a bloody huge bag!!! Hope it feels lighter with the beautiful view in Xinjiang! Fingers crossed for you!